Last week I took this:
Knit Picks Bare Fingereing
and put it in this:
a bowl of water.
Then I cooked up some of this:
dye from the walnuts off of our tree
and added my yarn:
I let it simmer all day and all night:
then hung it out to dry:
don’t worry, I put it in the shade after photographing it.
When it was dry, I wound it into a cake:
and oohed and ahhed and made everyone in the house smell it and touch it and admire it and compliment my dyeing prowess.
And this concludes my first attempt at dyeing yarn. I am not incredibly thrilled with the outcome – I had hoped for a more tonal variegation rather than straight tan. I also was looking for something a little more akin to purple. However, this wasn’t about getting a certain end, but rather the learning of a new skill. I think it is only the beginning. It was incredibly exciting.