One Dress, Three Ways

While I may have recently extolled the virtues of knitting the same pattern over and over again, I must confess that I still like variety in my knitting. So when I decided that The Blessing needed a closet full of handknit sweater dresses for the coming winter, I knew there would be some serious alterations happening to some of my favorite patterns.

Case in point: Elena Nodel’s Maxi Top/Dress for babies

I knit it the first time following the directions.

IMG_3630-resized

Knit in Mosaic Moon “Muted Berries” on Targhee DK
Rav project page here

IMG_3646-resized

Well, I mostly followed the pattern. I had to space out the increases in the skirt differently to minimize the pooling, and I used the trim color differently. But other than that, this one was by the book.

I like the pattern so much that I cast on a second dress almost immediatly after binding off the last one.

IMG_4055-resized

This time I used Mosaic Moon “Bollywood” on Mountain Meadow Worsted
Rav project page here

IMG_4061-resized

For this second dress, I eliminated the increasing trouble that I had in the first dress by putting pleats in right under the waist band. I figured that if I could hit on that perfect “pooling free” stitch count at the top, I would avoid trouble later on. This meant that I used more yarn because the skirt is full from the top. I like it.

By now, I was getting pretty tired of the almost identical knitting, so I went crazy with the mods on the third in this series of dresses for The Blessing.

IMG_2401-resized

Mosaic Moon “Dreamcatcher” on Mountain Meadow Aran
Rav project page here

IMG_2430-resized

This time was using an aran weight in a DK pattern, so I went down a size. Then I made the following modifcations:
– After the collar was knit, I split for sleeves and worked the front and back separate for the appropriate length; did not bind off sleeves at this point, but left the stitches live until I could come back to them.
– Instead of garter waist at the arm pit, I began the waist band under the arm pit, and I worked a 1×1 rib waist with an eyelet round in the middle for a drawstring
– I worked increases only on the sides of the skirt, 2 increases each side every 1.5 inches.
– I made ruffles at the shoulder to bind off the sleeve stitches.

I love this incarnation. Although in retrospect I should have made the arm holes smaller and I should have knit the 18 month size. I assumed my gauge would be hugely different from my DK and worsted gauges, but it wasn’t. It fits fine, but probably not for terribly long.

IMG_2435-resized

I love a good pattern, and I love it even more when I find it inspiring me and enabling me to let my own creativity into the process so that I can not only create an exact replica of the designers project, but also create something new and all my own! This pattern did just that. Not bad for a free Ravelry pattern, huh?

IMG_3704-resized

Advertisements

7 thoughts on “One Dress, Three Ways

  1. Sometimes, I think it’s beyond not fair that girls get all the cute patterns. Not that I haven’t knit adorable things for my boys….but the girls get all the good stuff 🙂 Those are beyond adorable!

  2. Pingback: When The Munchkin Needs a Sweater Dress, I Knit Her a Sweater Dress | Wool and Chocolate

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s