Knitting For The Blessing…. Again

It is just so fun to knit for little, tiny people. Especially when one has amazingly beautiful yarn, reliable patterns and techniques, and the cutest little model. Continue reading

Advertisements

One Dress, Three Ways

While I may have recently extolled the virtues of knitting the same pattern over and over again, I must confess that I still like variety in my knitting. So when I decided that The Blessing needed a closet full of handknit sweater dresses for the coming winter, I knew there would be some serious alterations happening to some of my favorite patterns.

Case in point: Elena Nodel’s Maxi Top/Dress for babies

I knit it the first time following the directions.

IMG_3630-resized

Knit in Mosaic Moon “Muted Berries” on Targhee DK
Rav project page here

IMG_3646-resized

Well, I mostly followed the pattern. I had to space out the increases in the skirt differently to minimize the pooling, and I used the trim color differently. But other than that, this one was by the book.

I like the pattern so much that I cast on a second dress almost immediatly after binding off the last one.

IMG_4055-resized

This time I used Mosaic Moon “Bollywood” on Mountain Meadow Worsted
Rav project page here

IMG_4061-resized

For this second dress, I eliminated the increasing trouble that I had in the first dress by putting pleats in right under the waist band. I figured that if I could hit on that perfect “pooling free” stitch count at the top, I would avoid trouble later on. This meant that I used more yarn because the skirt is full from the top. I like it.

By now, I was getting pretty tired of the almost identical knitting, so I went crazy with the mods on the third in this series of dresses for The Blessing.

IMG_2401-resized

Mosaic Moon “Dreamcatcher” on Mountain Meadow Aran
Rav project page here

IMG_2430-resized

This time was using an aran weight in a DK pattern, so I went down a size. Then I made the following modifcations:
– After the collar was knit, I split for sleeves and worked the front and back separate for the appropriate length; did not bind off sleeves at this point, but left the stitches live until I could come back to them.
– Instead of garter waist at the arm pit, I began the waist band under the arm pit, and I worked a 1×1 rib waist with an eyelet round in the middle for a drawstring
– I worked increases only on the sides of the skirt, 2 increases each side every 1.5 inches.
– I made ruffles at the shoulder to bind off the sleeve stitches.

I love this incarnation. Although in retrospect I should have made the arm holes smaller and I should have knit the 18 month size. I assumed my gauge would be hugely different from my DK and worsted gauges, but it wasn’t. It fits fine, but probably not for terribly long.

IMG_2435-resized

I love a good pattern, and I love it even more when I find it inspiring me and enabling me to let my own creativity into the process so that I can not only create an exact replica of the designers project, but also create something new and all my own! This pattern did just that. Not bad for a free Ravelry pattern, huh?

IMG_3704-resized

Must. Knit. Something.

Funny story.

She came over that evening and she actually brought her knitting. She always forgets her knitting, but on this night she remembered. Then she actually knit on her project as we visited! She hardly ever does that. Usually I’m the one knitting and she knits a few stitches and then talks and then knits a few stitches and drinks her tea and then holds the baby and then… This time she was really flying across her rows, knit. knit. knit.

So there she is knitting in my living room and I had nothing in my hands at all. I had two projects on the go, and both of them were colorwork and I don’t like to knit colorwork while I’m talking (remember the socks? Yeah. That lesson was still fresh in my mind).

So I was sitting idle.

Watching her knit.

Weird, right?

Right. Totally weird.

Desperately, I grabbed the nearest ball of yarn and cast on some longies. Then as I talked and without any planning or thought, I started switching colorways from my scrap bag.

And I was knitting, too.

All was right with the world.

And The Blessing was getting another pair of longies. One can never have too many longies.

Win, win.

I am giddy with happiness at how lovely these scrappy longies turned out. They took days to dry after lanolizing, but this morning they were ready for the photo shoot.

IMGP4923-resized

The Blessing, however didn’t want to do a photo shoot.

IMGP4921-resized

No, she’d much rather crawl around and put leaves in her mouth.

IMGP4920-resized

Or grab for the camera.

IMGP4912-resized

When I finally got her to stand, it was only for a second and then she was down again.

IMGP4906-resized

But she did like climbing on her chair that Uncle T made.

IMGP4903-resized

I realize that this post started out as a knitting post and has quickly turned it’s focus to a cute baby. Can you blame me?

IMGP4902-resized

I didn’t think so.

Okay, so knitting details. Well, for starters, the Ravelry project page is here.

Just for kicks I decided to try Russian joins. It’s clever and I like eliminating the ends to weave in later, but it isn’t very smooth as far as the knitting goes. It leaves big bumps. It’s only longies, so it’s cool, but I doubt I’ll use it again.

The yarn is all Mosaic Moon Targhee Aran. Some of it I picked up in a scrappy swap and some I had on hand. I did use one bit of Mosaic Moon Licorice Twist Aran (the pink zebra at the knees and just before the cuffs) as the legs were looking too blue for my girlie-girl.

These ended up being just a tad too big, you can see that I rolled the cuffs. And I should have used a smaller needle as the gauge is looser than I usually like for longies. But she will grow and they are just too cute.

I am extremely happy with the results.